Thursday, January 05, 2006

Kindergarten

I love going to kindergarten! We have one in our neighborhood. Lady goes there every week. Some days I get to go. In Chinese kindergartens, children begin coming at about age 2 1/2, and stay until age 6 or 7. They eat two meals, and two snacks, and take a long afternoon nap. Sometimes, when Lady is away, I stay with the English teacher there. I get to have snacks and take a nap! The teachers there all love me, and want me to sleep with them, but I stick with the one Lady entrusted me with.
I don't usually go in the classroom with Lady. I hang out with the bus drivers. They like me, too. Lady teaches 4 classes in the morning. There are anywhere from 30 to 55 children in her classes. After two classes, the children go outside for morning exercises. I love to watch them move to the music. Each class has a special place to stand. They exercise to several songs, then some run around. When it is rainy or too cold outside, they play indoors. How I wish Lady would let me in the ball pool! I try to climb the colorful wall, but I can't reach the foot pegs.
Someitmes the drivers and I wait in the bus. They sleep. I like that! But I don't like it when they smoke. Lady will say I stink!
I can understand both Chinese and English, but the children are learning to actually speak both languages. They learn English songs and games. They are not afraid of Lady. They are not afraid to try to speak. When they see us walking in the neighborhood, they will say "hello." Lady likes it when they say hello instead of calling her a "lao wai" (foreigner). Maybe they will grow up not being afraid to try to speak a foreign language, or make friends with a foreigner. Maybe they feel God's love for them. I try to lick them, but they don't like this kind of love.
In the afternoon, the kindergarten bus picks up Lady and takes her to another kindergarten in the countryside. She only teaches 3 classes there. I don't usually go there. I am still napping when Lady leaves. When she returns, I get my snack!
After dinner, Lady and I will go to another English Corner for adults. I enjoy the children at the kindergarten, but the adults of English Corner give me better treats! After all, I am just a little dog, and I love my treats!