Thursday, November 08, 2007

I hate India

Well, I hate India- today anyway. It's Diwali Festival time. You may remember that I am not fond of firecrackers and fireworks. I am a little afraid of them. Okay, they terrify me. Well, they began last night and went on ALL DAY today. Tonight is a really big night for firecrackers and bombs and other kinds of explosions. Festival of Lights? What's wrong with candles? The Indian schools were out today. Lady's kids jumped out of their skin whenever the bombs and crackers went off. Made for difficult learning. She doesn't know why on earth they had school today. The streets are littered with remnants of the fireworks. The street dogs are hiding. Even the water buffalo stayed home today. They didn't walk our street past the early morning. Lady stepped in evidence on her her way to school and tracked it into her classroom. She had to clean it up before the kids came in and noticed the awful smell. Her day didn't start off very well. Then, all day long, "BOOM! KaBOOM! BANG! BANG! BANG! POP! POP! POP! SIZZLE SIZZLE BOOM!" I was so happy to see Lady come home from school. She tried to take me for a walk but I didn't want to go. She had to drag me out the gate. We walked to the end of the street and turned around. I couldn't get back to my house fast enough. Last night I went as far as the bush outside my gate and wouldn't go any further! Inside, I stay glued to Lady's heels. While she is on the bed, I am UNDER the bed. It's safer. The landlord's van is right outside our window- inches from my chair. The car alarm has gone off three times in the last hour. I hate this day. Auntie Al felt sorry for me and gave me some of her hamburger for dinner. Lady gave me some leftover paneer masala. Lady has earplugs but I don't. They help a little but not much. You can't imagine how bad it is. When India won the cricket championships, we thought we were under attack! Well, this is WORSE. Lady says it is twenty times worse than their fourth of July celebrations. Well, this little dog is staying inside and under the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment