Monday, May 20, 2013

LADY SPEAKS ABOUT MARLEY'S ADOPTION DAY

I had just moved into a large apartment in a huge complex in a city of about one million -small by Chinese standards. I smiled at everyone but no one would talk to me. I heard every noise in that big apartment. I wanted a dog. So, I cried out to God. Okay, I whined. "I don't have any friends here, no one will talk to me, it's lonely. I want a dog. A black and tan dobie. Oh wait. I'm on the fourth floor. How about a black and tan dachshund?" I didn't tell anyone else. Less that two weeks later, I had a call from friends who had gone to buy furniture in the capital city. They told me a little dog was homeless and needed a home. He was almost three years old. I asked what breed it was. " A dachshund," came the reply. "What color is it?" I quickly asked. "He's black and tan." That's my dog! Thank you God! 
On May 20, 2004, I rode the bus to the capital city and  met my little guy. I put my hand in from of him and said, "You must be Marley." He wagged his tail, licked my hand and that was that. 
From the first time I walked Marley in our neighborhood, people began to speak to HIM! I would answer back in Chinese, and new relationships were forged. They called him "Mah LEE." He was featured in a commercial for the complex! He knew every noodle shop and restaurant where they saved bones or meat for him. He went everywhere with me. He rode buses with ease. He went into teahouses with me every Wednesday night for English Corner. He loved going to the foot massage parlors because he got lots of scratching. He is a constant reminder that God heard my cry, and cared enough to give me this little companion. God has provided loving families who want to take care of him when I travel. God has provided a friend who has paid for his ticket when we flew to India, and then later to Delhi.  
Marley has made such an incredible difference in my life. Today, I am still in the US and missing him so much. His Adoption/Birthday Bash will have to be delayed until I get back. The vet said he was born in May, so we just celebrate both days together. He is twelve years old this year! He still helps me break the ice with neighbors who don't know what to make of me. He greets me enthusiastically whether I have been gone for a few hours, a few days, or a few months. He is an excellent host when we have guests. He shares his treats and old toys with street dogs. He never poops in the house or chews up anything. He sticks by me when I'm sick, and licks my tears when I cry. He is my furkid and I love him dearly. It has been hard to be away, but the trip is just too far and too hard on him. Hopefully I will be back in India this week. I am waiting for my ticket. 
I LOVE YOU MARLEY! HAPPY ADOPTION DAY! I'M COMING HOME SOON AND WE'LL PARTY! I'M BRINGING PREZZIES! 
 From our first Christmas together in China, 2004
 At the teahouse
 Summer English Camp. Marley helped teach
  One of our neighbors in China. 
 From Last year's party
 From 2010
 

10 comments:

  1. Awww! Marley sure is lucky you came into his life, and vice versa!! I LOVES that story. Happy Adoptiversary, Marley! I hope you and your Lady are reunited soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Gotcha Day Marley and mum will be home soon with lots of goodies. Have a marvellous Monday.
    best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday/Gotcha Day. We're all so glad that we've become such good furends, even across the many, many miles. You're as handsome as the day we met you a few years ago.

    God sure did a GREAT job answering Lady. She loves you VERY much!!

    We love you too Marley!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin & Mommy Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet day! Happy Gotcha/Birthday!!
    Nola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Gotcha Day, Marley & Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story. Happy Gotcha Day! Hope Lady will be with you soon so you two can have a wonderful Gotcha/Birthday/Welcome home party.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one very lucky little fellow, Marley, to have such a loving Mommy.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY/HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:19 PM

    Happy Adoption Day Marley and Lady! What a wonderful life you two have had! The places you have been. We're so happy for the two of you that the Good Lord got you both together. Save travels back home Lady to your beloved Marley.

    Baxter, Baxter's Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Gotcha Day Marley! You are such a gift to Lady. She is very blessed to have you in her life. We will pray that Lady has a safe trip home. You will be so excited to see each other.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Gotcha Day, Marley! My girls Annie & Lulu send their woofy wishes along as well.
    Thanks for taking such good care of my friend, Lady. I pray you'll be united very soon.

    ReplyDelete