Friday, November 05, 2010

Survived First Night of Diwali

Well, I survived the first night. Lady gave me lots of treats when the bombs went off, but I threw up this morning. On her new silk rug. She didn't even scold me. At least I didn't flood the hallway as I did yesterday morning. I was so embarrassed! I told Lady I had to go, but she took too long getting some clothes on. She didn't scold me. That injection makes me really thirsty so I drink a lot. It has to go somewhere! That's why we were out late last night, but I didn't last long in all that noise. Here are some shots of our street last night.

Diwali is the most popular of all the festivals in South Asia. It is also celebrated by Jains and Sikhs. Because of the lights, fireworks and sweets involved, children love it. It's as big as Christmas is to the Christians. The festival celebrates the victory of good over evil, light over darkness and knowledge over ignorance, although the actual legends that go with the festival are different in different parts of India. For many Indians the festival honors Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth. People start the new business year at Diwali, and some Hindus will say prayers to the goddess for a successful year.Some people build a small altar to the goddess and decorate it with money and with pictures of the rewards of wealth, such as cars and houses.Hindus will leave the windows and doors of their houses open so that Lakshmi can come in. Diwali lamps are regarded as making it easy for Lakshmi to find her way to the houses. 
I guess these neighbors really want Lakshi to find them. 
Many of the houses on our street are adorned with fresh flower garlands or fake ones.

View from our balcony.
This is me headed home after kids lit some crackers in front of us! Despite my wobbly legs, I turn on a dime and high-tail it home! I am currently curled up in my yellow blankie on the sofa in front of the heater. I took Lady out early this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment