Friday, October 06, 2006

Happy Mid Autumn Day

Today is the 15th day of the eighth month on the lunar calendar, or Mid Autumn Day. The closest holiday like it in the states is Thanksgiving. It is a time when the moon is its closest to the earth so appears huge in the sky. It is a time of reunion for families. The markets and supermarkets were jam-packed today with folks preparing for family to come home and celebrate together. I'm celebrating with Michael tonight! Lady packed my sleepover bag, and made me wear my coat. Everyone eats mooncakes today. A student brought Lady a huge box of moon cakes. She also had mooncakes at Margaret's hotel, and I am sure at the dinner. Moon cakes can be filled with fruit and nuts, or meat, or eggs. I get the meat filled ones! I make a huge mess because the crusts are flaky. They are round to remind us of the moon. I hope all my Chinese friends enjoy their Mid-Aumn Day! Zhong Qiu Jie Kuai Le!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment